Man United coach wants to keep €80m-rated midfielder amid several offers

The Norwegian manager has responded to Paul Pogba’s latest flirtation with Real Madrid by claiming he is confident the midfielder will stay a Man United footballer for at least another two years.

France international’s roller-coaster the Red Devils career appeared to be on an upward curve towards the ends of last campaign when he returned from a lengthy injury-enforced spell on the sidelines to form a highly effective midfield partnership with winter recruit Bruno Fernandes.

Reports of a possible new deal emerged over the summer, but talks are yet to commence and, following a terrible start to the new season, Paul attracted huge criticism after he spoke openly about his desire to move to Real Madrid at some point in his career.

Asked about a move to the Los Blancos and Zinedine Zidane’s interest in him, Pogba said while on international duty last week: ‘Zidane? We all heard it, things were said.’

Responding to the 27-year-old midfielder’s latest flirtation, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: ‘Paul’s our player, He’s going to be here for another two years and I’m sure Paul is focused on doing his best for us and we want to see the best of Paul.’

The French midfielder, who is said to be unsure about his current role in the club, has eight months left on his existing deal but the Red Devils have the option to extend for a further 12 months later this year and tie him to Man United until 2022.

Despite his indifferent form, the World Cup winner is likely to retain his place for Saturday’s PL game at Newcastle with Red Devils looking to bounce back from their catastrophic 6-1 defeat with Spurs a fortnight ago.